Re: FC4 or FC5

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 14:35 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 15:54 -0700, jdow wrote:
> > Note that there is nothing WRONG with it being a hobby or with
> > hobbies in general. But to take it more seriously than you might
> > take a model railroad or a hand made remote controlled B-52 model
> > with real jet engines and all is silly.
>
> There are different computer systems around, some more geared towards
> only being profitable towards larger corporations, others not.  If you
> want to make money from a product, you have to be sensible about which
> product you work with.  This is no different than any other industry.
>
> You can't demand that you must be able to make money from something just
> because you want to.  Heck, I can learn how to make soap, but I couldn't
> possibly compete with Lux or Palmolive, on a backyard creator scale.
>
> --
> (Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

No, but if I put serveral man months into producing a new software
product and I am not singularly wealthy I might want to feed my family
and get soem money back for selling my output . A GPL licence does not
allow me to od that.
Would we have linux kernels if there wasn't a company willing to pay
Linux kernel developers to do that job without demanding that revenue be
realized from their work.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>