Re: FC4 or FC5

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 08:58 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 14:35 +0930, Tim wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 15:54 -0700, jdow wrote:
> > > Note that there is nothing WRONG with it being a hobby or with
> > > hobbies in general. But to take it more seriously than you might
> > > take a model railroad or a hand made remote controlled B-52 model
> > > with real jet engines and all is silly.
> >
> > There are different computer systems around, some more geared towards
> > only being profitable towards larger corporations, others not.  If you
> > want to make money from a product, you have to be sensible about which
> > product you work with.  This is no different than any other industry.
> >
> > You can't demand that you must be able to make money from something just
> > because you want to.  Heck, I can learn how to make soap, but I couldn't
> > possibly compete with Lux or Palmolive, on a backyard creator scale.
> >
> No, but if I put serveral man months into producing a new software
> product and I am not singularly wealthy I might want to feed my family
> and get soem money back for selling my output . A GPL licence does not
> allow me to od that.
> Would we have linux kernels if there wasn't a company willing to pay
> Linux kernel developers to do that job without demanding that revenue be
> realized from their work.
----
Dude - you can sell GPL software that you write...there's no restriction
against that...only that you make the source code available for no more
than the handling costs.

I guess that people can be smart enough to write software but not smart
enough to understand the implications of a license.

Craig