Re: fedora-extras-commits-list (was Re: kde in extras - the devel discussion)

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 07:17 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 06.06.2006, 23:43 +0200 schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
> > On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 17:42 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > >  I've seen very little evidence of
> > > anyone else reading it anyway.
> > Yes, the FESCo Gods in their incomprehensible wisdom had decided they
> > wanted a separate list, now they've got what wanted: Basically a list
> > archive, nobody reads.
>
> <nitpicking>The List archive of fedora-extras-commits-list goes back up
> to "2004-November". FESCo was founded on the first FudCon iirc on "18
> February 2005" and the first Meeting-Summary is from "24 February 2005"
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SteeringCommittee/Meetings
> </nitpicking>
>
> SCNR ;-)
The list archive, yes, but the decision to split out commit-mails from
fedora-extras list had been taken and proposed by you (IIRC, it was you
THL or Warren).

This decisions of yours has caused fedora-commit list to degrade to a
list-archive feed, apparently not being read.
To me, this means you basically have switched off a means of QA.

You wanted it, you did it, you are responsible - Therefore this now is
your problem.

> > I told them before, but they refused to listen ;)
>
> Ranting appreciated, but helping working out something that works better
> much preferred; FESCo has a long todo-list already and really needs a
> bit more help.
As I said then: maintainers should obliged to subscribe to fedora-commit-list.
An easy way to achieve this, would have been not to split out
commit-messages from fedora-extras-list.

An alternative way would be to merge it with an
fedora-extras-maintainers-list.

Or putting it differently: If you want to improve QA, I don't see an
alternative to making reading all commits mandatory. Yes people will
find this annoying, but that's a price they have to pay. If they are not
interested in reading others commits, then they should better stay away
from packaging packages for FE.

> I also know that fedora-extras-commits-list doesn't work very well. I
> hope that we can have a QA group in the future that makes sure that each
> commit is checked at least roughly by one experienced packager.

Well, yes, a "review-list" would be an approach, but ...

>  But
> we're already short of reviewers and sponsors for extras and have a long
> list of packages still under review so this probably will fail due do a
> lack of time/interest/manpower.
... agreed, I doubt this will work out.

Instead, I'd suggest to implement maintainer teams/task forces and
groups of maintainers.

Ralf