Re: kde in extras - the devel discussion

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 14:26 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
>> 1. Extras really should not be regarded as a "second class citizen" to
>> Core in the first place, and
> I wouldn't be sure. Though I on one hand agree that RH's work on KDE has
> not been a "proof of exellence", on the other hand, I think, a couple of
> overly ambitious KDE hackers in Extras could be harmful.
It's not just those "overly ambitious KDE hackers" though. Remember that
Extras packages must go through a strict community review of packaging
quality and must follow strict and specific guidelines to pass this.
Also, nearly every extras packager (as I understand it) watches the
fedora-extras-commits list, and so we as a community could quickly pick
out if and/or when a packager is doing something inappropriately or
incorrectly.

> 3. It would close out RH from a technology, other Linux distributors
> consider to be essential. - If RH's management thinks they can afford
> discoupling from KDE, ... future will tell who's right and who's wrong.
No it wouldn't. Extras and Core go hand-in-hand. If KDE were in Extras,
the same `yum groupinstall KDE` (for example*) could be used as if it
were in Core, since both repositories are enabled by default. Also, with
some of the planned Yum-based goodness in Anaconda, one could easily
install the distro with an up-to-date KDE just as simply as (or even
simpler than?) if it were on the downloaded installer disc(s).

> 4. It would close out KDE apps from Core.
> So, I'd recommend somebody to write a central, essential application in
> based on KDE, and RH will be in trouble.
There are several "central [and] essential" GNOME applications in Extras
too (for example, the Sabayon administration tool). Remember that all
potential packages that may end up in Core one day *must* go through
Extras first.

(* I'm just presuming that this is the right command for simplicity's sake.)
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479