Re: kde in extras - the devel discussion

Peter Gordon wrote:
Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 14:26 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
1. Extras really should not be regarded as a "second class citizen" to Core in the first place, and
I wouldn't be sure. Though I on one hand agree that RH's work on KDE has
not been a "proof of exellence", on the other hand, I think, a couple of
overly ambitious KDE hackers in Extras could be harmful.
It's not just those "overly ambitious KDE hackers" though. Remember that
Extras packages must go through a strict community review of packaging
quality and must follow strict and specific guidelines to pass this.
Also, nearly every extras packager (as I understand it) watches the
fedora-extras-commits list, and so we as a community could quickly pick
out if and/or when a packager is doing something inappropriately or
incorrectly.

As far as I know, Ralf is the only one that actively watches fedora-extras-commits these days. I've seen very little evidence of anyone else reading it anyway.

4. It would close out KDE apps from Core.
So, I'd recommend somebody to write a central, essential application in
based on KDE, and RH will be in trouble.
There are several "central [and] essential" GNOME applications in Extras
too (for example, the Sabayon administration tool). Remember that all
potential packages that may end up in Core one day *must* go through
Extras first.

Fedora Core is self-hosting, i.e. it can be used to build itself. So if KDE is in Extras and not in Core, it follows that no KDE apps can be in Core, since they would require packages from Extras to build (and probably to run as well). Unless the self-hosting policy is changed, that precludes KDE apps from Core if KDE is moved to Extras.

Paul.