Re: Good Bye FC5

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 11:11, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

> > Linus is probably right, I should switch to KDE.
>
> Gnome is heading more and more towards a corporate desktop that is
> affordable to maintain, support, and deploy.

You'd think they would consolidate remote management if that
were the case.  It should be trivial to merge additional machines
and control them in the manner of windows manager console since
X apps already do everything remotely.  But, it doesn't really
work because of all the special cases that break X's native
remote capability.

> I don't like some of the decisions that Gnome devs have made, but I
> think the rapid change is where most of the grief is coming from.  I and
> many others have difficulty adjusting too, so you're certainly not
> alone.

I wish the developers would work with more than one machine
and use remote windows on a regular basis.  This is the one
capability where X has advantages compared to other systems
and the desktop managers go out of their way to break it.
I thought back in the days when Gnome was slow and clunky that
it was worth it because they were doing things the right way,
but it hasn't panned out that way.  I don't see any way to get
to the gnome menu system remotely without taking the whole
desktop and even if you could, program startup behavior isn't
all that predictable.  For example if you try to start a remote
firefox you may instead magically tell the one running on your
local box to open a new window.  That's as bizarre as a command
line program deciding on its own not to inherit stdout whenever
it feels like it.

If you run konqueror in a remote window you can actually view
the menus on the remote machine in the left panel (and thus
I don't think adding the ability to merge remote machines into
this view like WMC would be all that difficult), but if you
start something that wants to run in a panel it may or may
not do something reasonable.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx