Re: Good Bye FC5

On Wed, 2006-17-05 at 10:34 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> I used to be of the opinion that GNOME was "the one" -- both
> technically superior to KDE (it is) and philosophically superior (now
> I'm doubtful).  GNOME is rapidly losing my respect as it's become less
> and less easy to use (ironically) because I can't make it do anything
> other than what's in The Vision(tm) of whomever is making these design
> decisions.
>
> Linus is probably right, I should switch to KDE.

Gnome is heading more and more towards a corporate desktop that is
affordable to maintain, support, and deploy.  That necessarily means
removing/changing anything that could confuse the end user and thus
require a call to tech support.  Of course, it also means that Gnome
should be easier to use for everyone, except maybe for "power" users.

I don't like some of the decisions that Gnome devs have made, but I
think the rapid change is where most of the grief is coming from.  I and
many others have difficulty adjusting too, so you're certainly not
alone.

On the whole , Gnome is headed towards a better place.  It's much easier
now to maintain and support a Gnome environment than it was in the past
- I really appreciate the advancements in this area.  But, for all us
power end users, be warned: expect to run into a brick wall, at full
speed, face first, many, many, many times. :)

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu