Re: OT: ADSL safe practices and setting up a home network

On Fri, 2006-14-04 at 09:28 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 21:39 -0700, Richard England wrote:
> >
> >>I'm looking into entering the 21st century and need some help finding
> >>out how to go about setting up an ADSL connection at my home. Can anyone
> >>give me some good novice references for what is required for a safe
> >>connection in the way of cable modems, routers, hardware firewalls, and
> >>how this is all connected?
> >>
> >>Any pointers gratefully accepted, and feel free to email me directly.
> >>
> >>Thank you,
> >>
> >>--
> >
> > I see other peoples advice. My experience with SBC (now AT&T) they will
> > get you a modem and wired and wireless router for about $50. Then the
>
> I got just the MoDem, no router. I bought a D-Link router (wireless),
> and disabled the wireless part and removed the antenna. I don' need
> no snoopin'.
>
> > only problem is they are stuck on Windows configuration for which they
> > give you a CD. So you can:
>
> This was my experience, as well. They *only* support Windows. If I call
> them with a problem, they argue with me about what OS I'm running.
> It is either MacOS or some version of Windows. I've had one tell me
> repeatedly that I was running Windows XP, while I told him repeatedly
> I wasn't running any version of Windows. Finally, I told him I was
> running Linux, and he said "Oh, you're running Linux. We don't support
> Linux." and he hung up.
>
> Anyway, I had to borrow a Windows machine in order to start service.
> The router I was able to configure simply using my browser.
No consumer grade router manufacturers support Linux! I have never
needed to use the CD-Rom that comes with any of these routers.

I would think that some of the problems people have are with the
method the ISP uses to assign an IP address or permit a device to
connect to the DSL network. Most modern Broadband routers provide
support for DHCP, PPPoE and Static IP addresses and some allow
the MAC address of the WAN port to be changed if necessary, for ISPs
that require the MAC address to be registered with supplied software
on a windows machine.