Re: OT: ADSL safe practices and setting up a home network

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 21:39 -0700, Richard England wrote:
> I'm looking into entering the 21st century and need some help finding
> out how to go about setting up an ADSL connection at my home. Can anyone
> give me some good novice references for what is required for a safe
> connection in the way of cable modems, routers, hardware firewalls, and
> how this is all connected?
>
> Any pointers gratefully accepted, and feel free to email me directly.
>
> Thank you,
>
> --
I see other peoples advice. My experience with SBC (now AT&T) they will
get you a modem and wired and wireless router for about $50. Then the
only problem is they are stuck on Windows configuration for which they
give you a CD. So you can:
1. Go into New York mode and tell them they have to show you hoe to
configure your router whcih I did the firsat itme.
2. Find a Windows box and run the configure CD which I did the second
time.

If you just get a modem you can buy a linksys router and wireless access
point (G type) which comes also with a CD with detailed instructions.
That part is really a no brainer. Firewall is installed and normally
ther eis place for 4 hardwired machines and lots of wireless machines in
both cases.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>