Re: modem blues

Hex Star wrote:
note that cable internet is quite often better then dsl...if at all possible I'd highly recommend you use cable broadband instead of dsl...

On 4/16/06, *Jimmy Montague * <rhetoric101@xxxxxxx <mailto:rhetoric101@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Antonio Olivares wrote:
    > --- Jimmy Montague <rhetoric101@xxxxxxx
    <mailto:rhetoric101@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    >> Antonio Olivares wrote:
    >>
    >>> --- Jimmy Montague < rhetoric101@xxxxxxx

    >> It's

    >> "Comm

    >>> Jimmy,
    >>>    Become superuser
    >>> $ su -
    >>> psswd: *****
    >>> # wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
    >>>
    >>> will scan the modem ports till it finds a valid
    >>>
    >> ones.
    >>
    >>> After it finds it use that one in KPPP.  Refer to
    >>> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/post-install.html
    >>>
    >>> for help/other issues when using wvdial.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Antonio

    >>> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
    >>>
    >> protection around
    >>
    >>> http://mail.yahoo.com
    >>>

    >> Thanks Antonio. I did as you suggested. KPPP now
    >> finds the modem and
    >> probes it correctly, but I don't seem able to create
    >> a dialup connection
    >> correctly. Which is to say, I create the dialup
    >> connection and tell then
    >> KPPP to dial it. KPPP then goes to work -- and
    >> nothing happens. I don't
    >> hear dial tones or any other sounds coming out of
    >> the modem. Bye and
    >> bye, KPPP itself disappears from the screen AND the
    >> task bar, and no
    >> connection is ever made. So I'm still lost.
    >>
    >> Thanks for trying.
    >>
    >> Jimmy
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    > Let us not give up so easy.  Could you do the
    > following so we can determine what other things we can
    > do
    >
    > $ su -
    > pswd: ***
    > # lsusb -v
    >
    > send us that information, and
    > # dmesg
    >
    > The other thing to do and try is to use wvdial in the
    > meantime edit the file /etc/wvdial.conf add your
    > username, psswd:, phone number and make a script
    >
    > # script wvdialtest.log
    > # wvdial
    >
    > # exit
    > script created on .....
    >
    > attach the script and hopefully we can get to the root
    > of the problem.
    >
    > Before I forget, when you need to use the modem to
    > connect to the internet and you are also on a network,
    > please run
    > # ifconfig eth0 down
    > and try to connect again.  This is a little thing that
    > makes a big difference.
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Antonio

    > http://mail.yahoo.com

    My apologies to you, Antonio, but I'm blowing out of this thread.
    Reason
    being that I got a card from my phone company yesterday. They told me
    they're offering broadband service now. So I signed up this morning. I
    get my high-speed modem delivered by UPS on the 19th and service
    starts
    on the 20th. So I'm going to hook up through a network card and a DSL
    modem next Friday. I see no reason, then, to put you (or me)
    through any
    more of this pain when, FC5 being the way it is, I may have to ask the
    list for networking help next week.

    Thanks for your trouble. I don't want to give you any more trouble.

    Jimmy