Re: modem blues

Antonio Olivares wrote:
--- Jimmy Montague <rhetoric101@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Antonio Olivares wrote:
--- Jimmy Montague <rhetoric101@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm baaaaaack!

Now I've got Fedora bootloader working, I've got
holnuther problem: FC5 doesn't detect my modem. I've queried every location offered in the KPPP menu and shot craps every time.

The device is an external USR hardware modem.
It's
plugged into a USB port. Xandros detected the modem at location
"Comm
8", if that means anything here. How can I get Fedora to find the
hardware and use it?

Thanks for any help.

Jimmy

Jimmy,
Become superuser $ su -
psswd: *****
# wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

will scan the modem ports till it finds a valid
ones.
After it finds it use that one in KPPP. Refer to http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/post-install.html

for help/other issues when using wvdial.

Regards,

Antonio

protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com
Thanks Antonio. I did as you suggested. KPPP now
finds the modem and probes it correctly, but I don't seem able to create a dialup connection correctly. Which is to say, I create the dialup connection and tell then KPPP to dial it. KPPP then goes to work -- and nothing happens. I don't hear dial tones or any other sounds coming out of the modem. Bye and bye, KPPP itself disappears from the screen AND the task bar, and no connection is ever made. So I'm still lost.

Thanks for trying.

Jimmy

Let us not give up so easy.  Could you do the
following so we can determine what other things we can
do

$ su -
pswd: ***
# lsusb -v

send us that information, and # dmesg

The other thing to do and try is to use wvdial in the
meantime edit the file /etc/wvdial.conf add your
username, psswd:, phone number and make a script

# script wvdialtest.log
# wvdial

# exit
script created on .....

attach the script and hopefully we can get to the root
of the problem.

Before I forget, when you need to use the modem to
connect to the internet and you are also on a network,
please run
# ifconfig eth0 down
and try to connect again.  This is a little thing that
makes a big difference.

Regards,

Antonio