Re: modem blues

note that cable internet is quite often better then dsl...if at all possible I'd highly recommend you use cable broadband instead of dsl...

On 4/16/06, Jimmy Montague <rhetoric101@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Antonio Olivares wrote:
> --- Jimmy Montague <rhetoric101@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Antonio Olivares wrote:

>> It's

>> "Comm

>>> Jimmy,
>>>    Become superuser
>>> $ su -
>>> psswd: *****
>>> # wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
>>>
>>> will scan the modem ports till it finds a valid
>>>
>> ones.
>>
>>> After it finds it use that one in KPPP.  Refer to
>>> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/post-install.html
>>>
>>> for help/other issues when using wvdial.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Antonio

>>> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
>>>
>> protection around
>>
>>> http://mail.yahoo.com
>>>

>> Thanks Antonio. I did as you suggested. KPPP now
>> finds the modem and
>> probes it correctly, but I don't seem able to create
>> a dialup connection
>> correctly. Which is to say, I create the dialup
>> connection and tell then
>> KPPP to dial it. KPPP then goes to work -- and
>> nothing happens. I don't
>> hear dial tones or any other sounds coming out of
>> the modem. Bye and
>> bye, KPPP itself disappears from the screen AND the
>> task bar, and no
>> connection is ever made. So I'm still lost.
>>
>> Thanks for trying.
>>
>> Jimmy
>>
>> --
>>

> Let us not give up so easy.  Could you do the
> following so we can determine what other things we can
> do
>
> $ su -
> pswd: ***
> # lsusb -v
>
> send us that information, and
> # dmesg
>
> The other thing to do and try is to use wvdial in the
> meantime edit the file /etc/wvdial.conf add your
> username, psswd:, phone number and make a script
>
> # script wvdialtest.log
> # wvdial
>
> # exit
> script created on .....
>
> attach the script and hopefully we can get to the root
> of the problem.
>
> Before I forget, when you need to use the modem to
> connect to the internet and you are also on a network,
> please run
> # ifconfig eth0 down
> and try to connect again.  This is a little thing that
> makes a big difference.
>

> Regards,
>
> Antonio

> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com

My apologies to you, Antonio, but I'm blowing out of this thread. Reason
being that I got a card from my phone company yesterday. They told me
they're offering broadband service now. So I signed up this morning. I
get my high-speed modem delivered by UPS on the 19th and service starts
on the 20th. So I'm going to hook up through a network card and a DSL
modem next Friday. I see no reason, then, to put you (or me) through any
more of this pain when, FC5 being the way it is, I may have to ask the
list for networking help next week.

Thanks for your trouble. I don't want to give you any more trouble.

Jimmy