Re: modem blues

--- Jimmy Montague <rhetoric101@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > --- Jimmy Montague <rhetoric101@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> >> I'm baaaaaack!
> >>
> >> Now I've got Fedora bootloader working, I've got
> >> holnuther problem:
> >> FC5 doesn't detect my modem. I've queried every
> >> location offered in the
> >> KPPP menu and shot craps every time.
> >>
> >> The device is an external USR hardware modem.
> It's
> >> plugged into a USB
> >> port. Xandros detected the modem at location
> "Comm
> >> 8", if that means
> >> anything here. How can I get Fedora to find the
> >> hardware and use it?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help.
> >>
> >> Jimmy
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > Jimmy,
> >    Become superuser
> > $ su -
> > psswd: *****
> > # wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
> >
> > will scan the modem ports till it finds a valid
> ones.
> > After it finds it use that one in KPPP.  Refer to
> > http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/post-install.html
> >
> > for help/other issues when using wvdial.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Antonio

> protection around
> > http://mail.yahoo.com
> >

> Thanks Antonio. I did as you suggested. KPPP now
> finds the modem and
> probes it correctly, but I don't seem able to create
> a dialup connection
> correctly. Which is to say, I create the dialup
> connection and tell then
> KPPP to dial it. KPPP then goes to work -- and
> nothing happens. I don't
> hear dial tones or any other sounds coming out of
> the modem. Bye and
> bye, KPPP itself disappears from the screen AND the
> task bar, and no
> connection is ever made. So I'm still lost.
>
> Thanks for trying.
>
> Jimmy
>
> --

Let us not give up so easy.  Could you do the
following so we can determine what other things we can
do

$ su -
pswd: ***
# lsusb -v

send us that information, and
# dmesg

The other thing to do and try is to use wvdial in the
meantime edit the file /etc/wvdial.conf add your
username, psswd:, phone number and make a script

# script wvdialtest.log
# wvdial

# exit
script created on .....

attach the script and hopefully we can get to the root
of the problem.

Before I forget, when you need to use the modem to
connect to the internet and you are also on a network,
please run
# ifconfig eth0 down
and try to connect again.  This is a little thing that
makes a big difference.

Regards,

Antonio