Re: OT: ADSL safe practices and setting up a home network

Mike McCarty wrote:
Eugen Leitl wrote:
On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 09:47:05AM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

wireless router was on sale, so I got it. I didn't get it
to use it as a router, but as a firewall. I only keep one
machine plugged into it. I'd prefer not to have a wireless
router at all.

Speaking about consumer firewall bashing -- most of them
are truly broken. However, for those of them which are based
on Linux there's always a chance of using an alternative firmware

Eh? Alternative firmware? Interesting.

You can use something like a Netgear WGT634U or WGT624 (<$40 US
w/shipping, probably not new) with OpenWRT, HyperWRT, DD-WRT.
Of course there's the Linksys WRT family and the same software.
There are many other routers too that can use the above software.

There is one other vendor of 3rd party software and it's not that
I don't know about them but rather I disagree with their opinions
and that is why I don't mention them here. That's all I have to
say on that subject.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site