Re: OT: ADSL safe practices and setting up a home network

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Friday 14 April 2006 15:28, Mike McCarty wrote:

I got just the MoDem, no router. I bought a D-Link router (wireless),
and disabled the wireless part and removed the antenna. I don' need
no snoopin'.

No snooping if you lock it down.

I don't know what you mean by "lock it down", as that has no
technical definition. I don't have any machines which have
a wireless card/builtin, and have no desire to get any. The
wireless router was on sale, so I got it. I didn't get it
to use it as a router, but as a firewall. I only keep one
machine plugged into it. I'd prefer not to have a wireless
router at all.

Disabling the RF part relies on the firmware and hardware both
to be correct. Removing the antenna relies on nothing.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.