Re: OT: ADSL safe practices and setting up a home network

Eugen Leitl wrote:
On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 10:13:35AM -0700, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

Note, I can't see the value of running one of those under-powered
boxes as a firewall.  Why?  It uses the same software firewall that

200 MHz MIPSel with 32 MBytes RAM is underpowered for a residential
firewall? Only for most extreme P2P users. If it sucks you're running
the wrong firmware.
If it's underpowered, use a 266 MHz soekris or wrap board with 128 MBytes --
and add swap space, if you must. If it's *still* underpowered, take a mini-ITX Eden, booting from compact flash.

I just did a test with my WGT634U (ttcp through LAN1 & the internet
port, in bridge mode) and it seems to be able to forward (in one
direction at least) ~86Mbps (1450 byte tcp packets). Turning on
the firewall will slow it down and I don't know home much yet.
A report on Tom's hardware seems to suggest that big block traffic
can be received at around 20Mbps with the default WRT software with
default settings.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site