Re: Help with reading strace

On 3/22/06, Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dan Track wrote:
> > On 3/22/06, Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > This firewall box is a cisco pix firewall. I can route the box's
> > without the firewall. What's the next step if, shall I ping again now
> > that they aren't using the firewall, or is there another test?
>
> LOL I don't know if there's another test :-)  I'm just making this up.
> Hook them up without the PIX and see if packets are still munched with
> the floodping.  Maybe the problem is only that neptune really does issue
> pings too fast for opal to keep up with it and this is a total
> sideissue.  (What is the relative speed of CPU of the two servers?)  If
> it acts differently with the PIX gone that might be interesting though.
>
> -Andy

Hi Andy,

Weirdest problem I've ever seen. Can;t make head or tail of it.
Now that they ignore the firewall I stil get the same result:

server A (neptune)-switch-server B(opal)

If I ping from neptune to opal I get dots appearing on the "ping -f"
command. If I ping from opal to neptune I never get any dots appear.

Which setting do I take seriously:

ethtool:
 ethtool eth2
Settings for eth2:
        Supported ports: [ MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Half
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 1
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: g
        Wake-on: d
        Current message level: 0x000000ff (255)
        Link detected: yes

or mii-tool:
mii-tool eth2
eth2: no autonegotiation, 100baseTx-HD, link ok

ethtool says HD the other says FD, which ones right.

When copying files to and from it I get around 9Mb/s, which seems good
for me, what do you think?

Thanks
Dan