Re: Unexplained network activity

Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
> David J. Bakeman wrote:
>
>> Since I upgraded to the latest FC4 kernel 2.6.15-1.1833_FC4 I've been
>> seeing unexplained network activity in the gnome System Monitor 2.10.1
>> applet. Using ps (verified with rpm to not be corrupted) and netstat
>> I can't explain the apparent activity. Is this an issue with the
>> gnome applet? Do I have some virus that's using the network? Any ideas?
>

> More details, ports, traffic, protocols.
>
> tcpdump

My first thought, exactly. Apropos of this, I have a question...

# tcpdump
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes

What does the EN10MB mean? I'm guessing Ether Net 10 MegaBit per second.

I'm using 100 Base T, so I wonder whether this is just a left-over
and now inappropriate message.
Mike, this begs the question just what or where is the ethernet speed set or regulated?? I'm one of two users on our router to our DSL modem. My roommate's Winders machine runs the web like a bat out of hell, while my machine is relatively slowwww... there must be something I need to tweak, I just don't know where or what. Thanks for any considerations, Ric

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256
Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/