Re: Unexplained network activity

Rickey Moore wrote:
Mike, this begs the question just what or where is the ethernet speed
set or regulated?? I'm one of two users on our router to our DSL
modem. My roommate's Winders machine runs the web like a bat out of
hell, while my machine is relatively slowwww... there must be
something I need to tweak, I just don't know where or what. Thanks
for any considerations, Ric

I rewrapped that. In future, please hit return.

I'd start with using both machines to do pings. First step would
be ping round trip times to the router. Then ping times to the DSL
modem. Then ping times to your proxies (if any). Then ping times to
your DNS and alternate DNS.

Don't do many pings, just a few when going outside your own equipment.
Be polite. You can learn as much from twenty pings as from 20,000 pings.

Even 10 Base T or 2 can outrun DSL easily, so I'm presuming it
doesn't matter whether your router and your ether NIC are negotiating
10Mbps or 100Mbps. But this may not be true. If your ether NICs have
the ability to indicate negotiated speed, find out. There may be LEDs
on them indicating speed.

This presumes, BTW, that your topology is like this

[PSTN]<--ADSL-->[MODEM]<--EtherNet-->[ROUTER]<---+---->[WINxx]
                                                  \--->[Linux]

If that diagram isn't clear, then the point is that the
Linux machine is not "behind" the WINxx machine, which is
acting as a NAT or router itself, but has a direct connect to
the router.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.