Re: Delist this person: From: petsupermarket

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 14:26 +0100, Patrick wrote:
> I'm not experienced in list admin stuff at all but could this
> potentially work?  A script that disables mail delivery to all list
> subscribers except subscriber <n> and send out an email to the list.
> Wait for the uol.com.br response. If it isn't received, disable mail
> delivery for subscriber <n>, enable mail delivery for subscriber <n+1>
> and send out the message again. Rinse and repeat until success.

A simple, but only mildly effective, method is to periodically mail each
subscriber, asking them to respond to keep their subscription alive.
Those that don't respond appropriately (not at all, or with an auto
responder) would get delisted.

However, if you have an active and deliberate spammer in our midst,
which seems likely, they'll just resubscribe.  This is where news groups
are better.  You don't need to supply an e-mail address that'll send
spam in your direction.  It works close enough to e-mail that most
people can figure it out.  It can be used on- and off-line (unlike web
forums).

> Alternatively the powers that be could stick uol.com.br in every RBL
> on the planet and see if that gets their attention :)

My ISP, Optus, one of the major backbones in Australia, has been
blacklisted for several years (for doing SFA to fix spammers in their
midst), but it hasn't stopped them.  What it's done it make it
impossible for some Optus customers to send mail via SMTP.  Many of the
internettly clueless use Hotmail, etc., and don't encounter that block.

I read messages from the public lists.