Re: [akonstam: Re: cups sucks me] desperate!

François Patte wrote:
akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 10:00:21AM +0530, François Patte wrote:

Tim wrote:

Tim:

Do you have the cups-config-daemon running?  It automatically
reconfigures CUPS in some way that I've not seen detailed.

Yes. It is running and automatically destroys whatever I could change in
cupsd.conf file to have my system working properly.

We have no information about this daemon: who starts it, how to stop its
nuisances, etc.

Every man about cups system refer to
http://localhost:631/documentation.html

I can read in http://localhost:631/sam.html#7_3

(Sorry for the French, I cannot find this in english! in german,
spanish, but not english!)

Changer la configuration du serveur

Le fichier /etc/cups/cupsd.conf contient des directives de configuration
qui contrôlent le fonctionnement du serveur. Chaque directive suivie de
sa valeur est disposée seule sur une ligne. Les commentaires sont
ouverts par le signe dièse ("#") au début de la ligne. Etant donné que
le fichier de configuration du serveur est un fichier texte, vous pouvez
le modifier au moyen de votre éditeur de texte préféré.

I translate the last sentence:

You can modify it (cupsd.conf) with your preferred text editor.

Why this possibility and why should I try to do so if
"cups-config-daemon", systematically destroy my work?

FC4, at least.  Did you think we were discussing something other than
Fedora on this list?  Are you so vehement against HAL, Kudzu, and other
auto-config tools?

If they are more harmful than useful, yes, we must be vehement against
them.

At least this one can be disabled

How to? as you say it yourself later on: there is no documentation!!!!

So far the only description I can find of it is what's written into the
system configuration GUI (This is a daemon for configuring printers
through D-BUS).  I've found no documention, just websites where people
have attributed it to problems, and instructions to turn it off.

So, something is to be changed in Fedora distributions!

Stop cups-config-daemon by doing:
chkconfig cups-config-daemon off

I've done this 2 days ago (adding --level 2345 to be sure!)

BUT: still something is re-writing my cupsd.conf on my server and
clients are still unable to print.....

This re-writing is not done at boot time but at some times I cannot
determine.

I check the cron and anacron daemon, I check the crontab: nothing.

Who has invented something like and for what purpose; I feel to be under
windows when you cannot do anything because everything is hidden!!!

Has anyone suggested the following:-

service cups-config-daemon stop
chkconfig cups-config-daemon off

I always remove the daemon,known to cause havock on some systems

    david