Re: [akonstam: Re: cups sucks me] desperate!

akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 10:00:21AM +0530, François Patte wrote:
>
>>Tim wrote:
>>
>>>Tim:

>>Yes. It is running and automatically destroys whatever I could change in
>>cupsd.conf file to have my system working properly.
>>
>>We have no information about this daemon: who starts it, how to stop its
>>nuisances, etc.
>>
>>Every man about cups system refer to
>>http://localhost:631/documentation.html
>>
>>I can read in http://localhost:631/sam.html#7_3
>>
>>(Sorry for the French, I cannot find this in english! in german,
>>spanish, but not english!)
>>
>>Changer la configuration du serveur
>>
>>Le fichier /etc/cups/cupsd.conf contient des directives de configuration
>>qui contrôlent le fonctionnement du serveur. Chaque directive suivie de
>>sa valeur est disposée seule sur une ligne. Les commentaires sont
>>ouverts par le signe dièse ("#") au début de la ligne. Etant donné que
>>le fichier de configuration du serveur est un fichier texte, vous pouvez
>>le modifier au moyen de votre éditeur de texte préféré.
>>
>>I translate the last sentence:
>>
>>You can modify it (cupsd.conf) with your preferred text editor.
>>
>>Why this possibility and why should I try to do so if
>>"cups-config-daemon", systematically destroy my work?
>>

>>>FC4, at least.  Did you think we were discussing something other than
>>>Fedora on this list?  Are you so vehement against HAL, Kudzu, and other
>>>auto-config tools?
>>
>>If they are more harmful than useful, yes, we must be vehement against
>>them.
>>

>>> At least this one can be disabled
>>
>>How to? as you say it yourself later on: there is no documentation!!!!
>>

>>>So far the only description I can find of it is what's written into the
>>>system configuration GUI (This is a daemon for configuring printers
>>>through D-BUS).  I've found no documention, just websites where people
>>>have attributed it to problems, and instructions to turn it off.
>>
>>So, something is to be changed in Fedora distributions!
>>

> Stop cups-config-daemon by doing:
> chkconfig cups-config-daemon off

I've done this 2 days ago (adding --level 2345 to be sure!)

BUT: still something is re-writing my cupsd.conf on my server and
clients are still unable to print.....

This re-writing is not done at boot time but at some times I cannot
determine.

I check the cron and anacron daemon, I check the crontab: nothing.

Who has invented something like and for what purpose; I feel to be under
windows when you cannot do anything because everything is hidden!!!

--
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique