[akonstam: Re: cups sucks me]

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 03:21:23PM -0600, John Pierce wrote:
> Well, I had similar problems getting cups to serve up to my local
> network, what I found was the cupsd.conf file says that certain
> defaults exist to serve a local network, and according to the
> documentation in the conf file those defaults should allow local
> machines to print to it.
>
> What I discovered was having to manually set the defaults to make it
> work, I think the redhat/fedora developers tell it not to share on the
> network for security reasons, but fail to adjust the documentation to
> match their build configuration.
>
> Take the following for example:
>
> ########
> ######## Network Options
> ########
> #
> # Ports/addresses that we listen to.  The default port 631 is reserved
> # for the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) and is what we use here.
> #
> # You can have multiple Port/Listen lines to listen to more than one
> # port or address, or to restrict access:
> #
> #    Port 80
> #    Port 631
> #    Listen hostname
> #    Listen hostname:80
> #    Listen hostname:631
> #    Listen 1.2.3.4
> #    Listen 1.2.3.4:631
> According to the above statement the system should allow connection on
> port 631, but if I do not add the following two lines I cannot print
> to this host.
>
> Listen localhost
> Listen 192.168.0.70:631
>
> Go through and check the configuration file.
>
> John
Ok, lets take this from the top. The cupsd.conf should have only one
Listen statement in most cases, and that is:
Listen 127.0.0.1

Clients on the same LAN will be able to print to the printer without
any further configuration. That is , no server line needs o appear in
the clients.conf file. Further, if the Server line appears in the
client.conf file then the client will not be able to print to a local
printer.

Under no circumstances should system-config-printer be used to
configure CUPS printers. It has serious flaws for this purpose.

If the original poster used system-config-printer to configure the
server printers this is one reason printer might have not worked on
the clients.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484

----- End forwarded message -----

When the bosses talk about improving productivity, they are never talking
about themselves.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University