Re: Hard drive cable question -

Tim:
>> It does NOT matter whether a cable is a cable-select cable or not, when
>> you jumper your drives as master and slave.  They behave as master and
>> slave, as jumpered, no matter what the cable is.
>>
>> Why is it that people do not understand this?  The jumpers on the drive
>> override anything else.  You have to specifically set drives into the
>> cable-select mode for them to pay any attention to the type of cabling.

Mike McCarty:
> Well, that depends on the drive. The CS system is designed such that
> a drive *can* override based on jumpers, and I've never seen a drive
> which used the cable select to override the jumpers, and it wouldn't
> make sense do to so to me, but drives' incompatibilities with each
> other being what they are, and electronic designs and testing being
> what they are...

I did mention that all but *broken* drives would obey the jumpers.
There's no sane reason for it to work any other way.  The jumpers select
whether the drive is master/single/slave/cable-select.  If the jumpers
weren't the controlling factor, you wouldn't have those options, nor be
able to make them.

A drive would have to be seriously broken to override or ignore jumpers,
it'd give you NO way to set what you want.

I read messages from the public lists.