Re: Hard drive cable question -

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:39:13 +1030, Tim wrote
> On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 11:12 +1100, Wolfgang Gill wrote:
> > Nope it doesn't matter. Drive selects are done with jumpers on the
> > drive. All IDE 40/80 pin cables are straight through, so the drive
> > itself govens whether it's master or slave. When I only have one
> > drive, I use the middle connector, and hide the other one out of the
> > way, to give me better casing air flow.
>
> That is just so much misleading, not to mention outright wrong,
> information.  Kindly stop leading people down the garden path.

Misleading?? That wasn't misleading at all!! And I'M NOT leading people up the
garden path. I've build literally 10,000 of machines (Probably more, lost
count after the first 1000 or so). And only 1% have failed due to hardware
faults, and cabling wasn't one of them. It's NO use to explain things into
GREAT detail to people that have little understanding of the concepts as it
is, and confuse them even more. And as I understand it, the original poster
has solved it, so it not necessary to slag everyone that tries to help.

> On 40-wire cables, all pins will not be wired through if it's a
> cable-select cable.  On one plug a pin will be disconnected, on another
> plug a pin will be disconnected from the cable and grounded.  These need
> to be connected properly if using cable-select, but can be used any way
> around if you're manually jumpering drives.
>
> On 80-wire cables, the same applies (as above) for cable-select
> features, AND there's 40 other wires between the data lines that are
> only grounded at the motherboard end.  These NEED to have the
> motherboard plug plugged into the motherboard, or you're risking a
> lot of data corruption or interface problems, but the master and
> slave connectors only need to be used as labelled if you're using
> the drives in cable-select mode.
>
> If one is hiding parts of cables out of the way, one should be
> careful how it's done.  Kinking or mangling cables can produce
> problems.  If you're *never* going to use the extra length, I'd
> suggest just cutting it off.

Now that's the part that's misleading.. "Cut it off if you don't need it",
that's a REALLY, SMART thing to say to people that bearly understand this
concept at all. (**Shakes Head**)

> > Usually (Depending on brand of drive), the master drive is jumpered,
> > and the slave drive isn't.
>
> I wouldn't agree with that at all, I see no consistency.

You obviously haven't delt with different number of different brands of drives
in the same system. IF you did, you'd know all about it..