Rampant Off Topic Posts, what to do about it

larry s wrote:
Hi,

Is there any kind of Policy for the content of the
Fedora list or stated purpose of the list?

I was under the impression that the list was for
people helping other people with the use of Fedora. I'm sure you have seen all the
Politco-Off-Topic-Ranting lately about Microsoft
and/or Windows, GPL etc.  In my opinion this really
destroys the usefullness of the list.  There appear to
be some major problems with FC4 right now and you can
hardly pick out information from the noise.

If you cannot, or will not, manage the list
topic/content then I will have to drop the list and
FC4 and go to another distribution.  It is simply a
time-waster that I cannot afford.  A couple of months
ago I was touting FC4 to people I know and referring
to the great support on the mail list.  All of that
has now changed and I would like to know your thoughts
on the matter.

Thanks
LS

While I personally agree that all of the discussion about Microsoft, foreign fonts, and other flame wars here is very off topic and detrimental to the list, we are hesitant to impose censorship on a discussion list. It is a huge waste of time to management and a slippery slope. How do we fairly draw a line? Everything is not clearly black or white.

That being said, I do request that list members please refrain from discussing things not strictly about Fedora on this list. There are better places elsewhere to discuss Microsoft conspiracies, useless GPL speculation, or insular American attitudes toward foreign languages.

Also, please also refrain from endlessly complaining about aforementioned behavior. If you ignore trolls, they eventually give up and go away. Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, and you become one of them.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/
If you want to give up on this list, I usually recommend folks to head over to Fedora Forum because user lists don't scale even under best conditions. A web forum is better able to organize topics, flame wars are much better controlled, while off-topic drivel is easily moved to where it belongs.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx