Re: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

----
#1 I believe that Microsoft does some pre-loading of their Office shared
libraries.

#2 I believe that you could speed the time on Linux by doing some
pre-linking or whatever it's called (brain dead moment - but I recall
this being a large topic of discussion in FC-2)

#3 I don't have any numbers to back my 'runs like a dog' statement and
I'm not gonna get sucked into doing it either. In fact, the only reason
that I got sucked into this thread (and you said you weren't gonna get
sucked into this thread too), was because of someone's post comparing
Win98 to FC-4  I can tell you this...I have 2 identical Shuttle SN41G2
boxes stacked upon each other (in fact, I stuck extra RAM in my WinXP
box)...both using identical Athlon processors, 1 running WinXP/SP2 and 1
running FC-4  I don't run Microsoft Office on the WinXP...I run
openoffice.org 2.x on both systems...Linux loads faster...note, I'm not
gonna stop watch them.

#4 My comment about WinXP running like a dog was predicated on Windows
98 era systems...i.e. =< 128Mb RAM, =< 600Mhz Pentium III and evidently
you chose to ignore the predicate of my statement. Some people are
actually loading and running Fedora on this class of machine and wonder
why the performance is lousy. Heck...I recently installed FC-4 on my
Sony VAIO PictureBook C1X (64Mb RAM, 266 MHz Pentium II, 4 Gb HD), don't
ask why, I would like to think it was lack of lucidity and boredom from
my motorcycle accident. Talk about a dog...it hunts though...I installed
NXclient on it and it's a hot performer (once it finally boots...gets
connected to network...totally thrashes desktop environment into vm
pages and can get NXclient application loaded...all of which takes the
proverbial patience of Job).  ;-)

The faster load times of various Microsoft applications on the Microsoft
platform are merely window dressing though...that's an incredibly narrow
yardstick to measure system performance.

Craig