Re: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

On Tuesday 14 Feb 2006 21:25, Mike McCarty wrote:
<snip>
> Not my experience. I have a well-loaded Win95 and a
> well-loaded Win98 machine, both of which load up
> Word more than 10x as fast as Open Office loads
> on my Linux machine. The 300 MHz Win95 machine even pulls it
> across a LAN faster than my 2.71 GHz Linux box can load OO
> from its local disc. I just clicked on the "OpenOffice.org
> Writer Word processor" icon on the task bar at the bottom
> of my screen, and it was 58 seconds before it was ready
> to take a keystroke, on my 2.71 GHz Linux machine. On my
> 400MHz Win98 machine, Word loads in less than 5 secs.
>
> YMMV
>
> Mike

OO2 - 7 secs to a useable document.
And thats with a terminal window with 4 subwindows, including two ssh terminal
windows monitoring network installs, gFTP, Quanta, KDevelop, GIMP, Xpdf,
firefox and Kontact running open windows, named, mysqld, httpd postfix and
dovecot running in addition to the basic background services that are
required, such as cups.

Its a 2.4gHz Athlon box.

Something wrong with your 58 second machine there Mike :-(

Tony