Re: Windows XP and fedora Core 4

Marcel Janssen wrote:
> On Sunday 05 February 2006 13:32, Jeremy Thompson wrote:
>
>>  The reason, if I remeber correctly, is that windows re-writes the MBR
>>(master boot record) so that only windows partitions are recognized.
>>Therefore you need to install windows first, then Linux.  There might be
>>some programs out there that let you do it the other way around, but I
>>don't know them.  Sorry for the bad news!
>

> I think you can just install windows and after that use the Fedora rescue mode
> to restore the Grub installation and add Windows to the grub menu.
> A similar approach will be needed when you need to reinstall windows, which is
> a far as I know sometimes needed :-)
>
> regards,
> Marcel

You may run into problems because Windows may see the drive
differently then Linux. Linux can adapt to the way Windows
sees the drive, but Windows doesn't. You can end up with
partitions that overlap. this is why it is recommended that
you create the Windows partitions first, using Windows
version of fdisk.

>From "man fdisk".

If possible, fdisk will obtain the disk geometry automatically.
This is not necessarily the physical disk geometry (indeed, modern
disks do not really have anything like a physical geometry,
certainly not  something that can be described in simplistic
Cylinders/Heads/Sectors form), but is the disk geometry that MS-DOS
uses for the partition  table.

Usually all goes well by default, and there are no problems if Linux
is the only system on the disk. However, if the disk has to be
shared with other  operating  systems, it is often a good idea to
let an fdisk from another operating system make at least one
partition. When Linux  boots it looks at the partition table, and
tries to deduce what (fake) geometry is required for good
cooperation with other systems.

Mikkel