Re: Old 486 computer & external CD reader advice needed

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 14:11, Mike McCarty wrote:

> > Actually both of those are very desirable things to have
> > available.  The Cygwin X environment has been built
>
> Hmm, looks like it is used to connect as an X client.
> Might be pretty restricted. I'm downloading it now, though.

Technically it is an X server (the concepts are backwards
in that a server serves a display and keyboard and a client
is a program using them), but calling it X terminal software
might make more sense.  However it does contain bash (I
dug up a copy) and leaves you at a bash prompt to ssh off
to other hosts to start programs.  You can probably copy
the 'run' batch file and edit it to just set the paths
and open the bash window without starting X.

Hmmm.. I'm surprised that it doesn't have a way to start
in 'X -query host' mode for a full desktop XDCMP login.
That should work just as easily and sometimes is what you
want to do.  The -multiwindow mode that it starts lets single
window apps mingle with MS windows and is also a handy
thing to have, though. You can run nautilus if you want something
that looks like the desktop without menus or task bars.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx