Re: Old 486 computer & external CD reader advice needed

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 00:09, Mike McCarty wrote:

And I'm certainly interested to see whether he can suggest a
way to run 100 copies of a console app under WinXP. I intend
to give that a try to see what happens, if anyone can suggest
a simple way to do it.

If I did it in a working scenario I'd install the Cygwin
tools and run the same bash script that I'd use on Linux.
I'm not sure how this would work as a benchmark though.
There may be more efficient ways to spawn processes in
windows than the cygwin emulation of fork.

I was actually intending to investigate the context
switching aspects of XP vs Linux. Installing Cygwin
seems a little bit high overhead (in disc space, etc.)
to me. I may have still installed a MinGW on my XP
partition. That might be a way...

Good idea.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.