Re: Old 486 computer & external CD reader advice needed

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 11:24, Mike McCarty wrote:

> >>I was actually intending to investigate the context
> >>switching aspects of XP vs Linux. Installing Cygwin
> >>seems a little bit high overhead (in disc space, etc.)
> >>to me. I may have still installed a MinGW on my XP
> >>partition. That might be a way...

> Oh, it's just the trouble of doing the install, then
> doing the uninstall, and the trouble of trying to make
> sure it was all gone. If I actually wanted to *use* it,
> it wouldn't be bad. But I don't want to drag a whole
> UNIX environment into my Windows environment, any more
> than I want to drag a whole Windows environment into
> my Linux environment.

Actually both of those are very desirable things to have
available.  The Cygwin X environment has been built
so you can execute it from a CD: http://xlivecd.indiana.edu/.
I don't know if they include bash in the package or
not, but if not, a similar approach might work.

> And right now *any* actual cost sounds bad to a
> laid-off engineer.

You need to find at least enough contract work to make
some new toys tax-deductible .

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesll@xxxxxxxxx