Re: Old 486 computer & external CD reader advice needed

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 02:24, Mike McCarty wrote:

I was actually intending to investigate the context
switching aspects of XP vs Linux. Installing Cygwin
seems a little bit high overhead (in disc space, etc.)
to me. I may have still installed a MinGW on my XP
partition. That might be a way...

If you calculate that space requirement in terms of
cost at current disk prices it probably wouldn't
sound that bad.

Oh, it's just the trouble of doing the install, then
doing the uninstall, and the trouble of trying to make
sure it was all gone. If I actually wanted to *use* it,
it wouldn't be bad. But I don't want to drag a whole
UNIX environment into my Windows environment, any more
than I want to drag a whole Windows environment into
my Linux environment.

And right now *any* actual cost sounds bad to a
laid-off engineer.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.