Re: [powersave-devel] Re: Powersave daemon and KPowersave packages available for FC4

On Sun 29. Jan 02:13:40, oleksandr korneta wrote:

> on 01/28/2006 08:00 PM Holger Macht wrote:
> >On Thu 26. Jan 23:55:04, oleksandr korneta wrote:
> >>Holger,

> >>I should have read the list of packages more carefully.

> >>yeah, I see
> >>checking for cpufreq_modify_policy_governor in -lcpufreq... no
> >>configure: error: libcpufreq >0.4 not found
> >>error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.92309 (%build)
> >>
> >>RPM build errors:
> >>    Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.92309 (%build)

> >>not exactly. The only package for fedora there is
> >>cpufreq-utils-0.4-1.1.21.FC4.i386.rpm
> >>
> >>since I have x86_64 machine, I probably need src.rpm for FC4
> >
> >I only rebuild cpufreq-utils on FC4 with the specfile found here:
> >
> >http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/devel/ppc/cpufreq-utils-0.4-1.1.21.ppc.html
> I decided to use the src.rpm from FC5
> http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/devel/x86_64/cpufreq-utils-0.4-1.1.21.x86_64.html
> everything went very smoothly.
> When I tried to rebuild powersave again I hit the same error as before.
> It seems you forgot to change the powersave.spec. Anyway, after replacing
> %_prefix/lib/powersave
> by
> %_libdir/powersave
>
> as danny kukawka suggested I got rebuild powersave, powersave-libs and
> powersave-devel rpms. After installing them I was wondering what to do
> next. obviously I was not to hoping this is the end of adventure yet.

Somehow the change does not make it into the release, soory ;-) Hopefully
the next time.

If you agree, can we we provide the packages built by you for x86_64
somewhere? Even on your own webspace if you have one or include then in
the sourceforge files section...

> thus here are some results:
>
> 1) the daemon didnt start after reboot.
> there is a script  /etc/init.d/powersaved, however running
>
> [~]$ sudo /sbin/chkconfig --add powersaved
> service powersaved does not support chkconfig
>
> does not help much, therefore you cannot see powersave daemon in
> system-config-services utility.
>
> what I had to do is
>
> #ln -s /etc/init.d/powersaved /etc/rc3.d/S92powersaved
> #ln -s /etc/init.d/powersaved /etc/rc5.d/S92powersaved
>
> in order to get it running at system start.
> (would be nice to get this fixed)

Yes, will add this to the specfile.

> 2) but the last step apparently didn't help either
> [~]$ cat /var/log/messages | grep powersave
> Jan 29 00:29:45 localhost [powersave]: ERROR (PM_Interface:89) Haldaemon
> not running. Battery or ac adapter information will not be available.
> Jan 29 00:29:45 localhost [powersave]: WARNING (ACPI_Interface:49) could
> not set battery alarm
> Jan 29 00:29:45 localhost [powersave]: ERROR (MainLoop:59) Error setting
> up connection to DBus system bus. Aborting...
>

> 3) then I decided to run powersaved as root.
>
> # /usr/sbin/powersaved -d
> goes just fine with no output.
> gkrellm-powersave works fine (I must point that since I'm using fluxbox
> then this is the only option for me instead of kpowersave). I can switch
>  between performance/powersave/dynamic modes, and battery indicator
> works as well. Also powersave [-xasbBSTr*] works fine and gives a nice
> output.

Good to hear.

> 4) Thus I decided to try "suspend to ram"
> but I got the following message:
> suspend2ram failed on unloading 'ohci_hcd'. Trying to recover...

Some usb device is plugged in that prevents the module to be unloaded I
think. Please remove all usb devices before suspend and try again. You can
also try to rmmod the module manually just to see if this works.

> and nothing more after that, but apparently it managed to unload the NIC
> module, because it was not working.
>
> I'm not sure what hardware is ohci_hcd module responsible for. lsmod
> does not tell much. It might be the firewire controller.

USB, see above.

> So considering all about I would like to:
> - be able  run powersaved daemon in a regular way and not as root only
> (I suspect that this has something to do with access privileges,

Yes. The powersave daemon is a root daemon and thus needs root previleges.

> apparently there should be some group created, which is not there yet )
> - be able to send the system into "suspend to ram" state.

You might also want to have a look at [1].

> thank you in advance

Thanks for reporting,
       Holger

[1] http://powersave.sourceforge.net/powersave/Suspend2Ram.html#Suspend2Ram