Can't boot with USB flash reader connected

On a Fedora Core 4 system I have a combination floppy drive(using the on board floppy controller) and a USB 2.0 card reader. If I have the USB cable connected for the Card reader portion of the drive and no flash card in the drive, the system will hang on bootup, specifically here:

   initrd /initrd-2.6.14-1.1656_FC4.img
      [Linux-initrd @ 0x2fc9200, 0x19df7a bytes]

however inserting any flashcard and the system will boot normally.

Disconnecting the flash drive is really not an option as the connector is internal to the case. Leaving a flashcard in the reader is a risky proposition in the event that the system needs to (or is forced to) reload and a card wasn't left in the reader.

suggestions?

TIA

Jeff