Re: Can't boot with USB flash reader connected

Just one problem, the first time I took the installation default and set a machine up using LVM I now have to specify individual partitions. :(

Other suggestions?

I'm guessing that the problem comes when the initrd attempts to mount
the real root system by filesystem label. The mount command must search
all disks for partitions in order to find one with the right label. I
imagine that the card reader is presented to the kernel in such a way
that there appears to be a device there, but the card reader won't
return any data until a card is physically inserted.

If I'm guessing correctly, you should be able to boot by device (e.g.
root=/dev/hda1) instead of by label (e.g. root=LABEL=/). You should be
able to test this hypothesis by pressing "e" on the Grub menu to edit a
kernel line, and make the appropriate change. (This will be temporary:
you'll have to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to make the change permanent.)
If you have any other filesystems automatically mounted from /etc/fstab,
you will probably get as far as where they're mounted, then the load
will freeze again. This will be the same problem, and the solution is to
edit /etc/fstab.

Hope this helps,

James.