Re: How to recover an executable?

On Saturday 21 Jan 2006 17:36, Craig White wrote:
> personally, I would backup copies of any config files that you
> altered - i.e.
>
> cp /etc/postfix/main.cf /etc/postfix/main.cf.saved
>
> and then remove the symlink you created...
>
> rm /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
>
> and then reinstall postfix...
>
> rpm -ivh --force \
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/os/Fed
>ora/RPMS/postfix-2.2.2-2.i386.rpm
>
> and that should fix things

I cleared things out as you said, and I had already made backups of
main.cf and transport, so I simply used yum to remove both sendmail and
postfix, then re-installed them.  Both of the config files were saved
during the install as .rpmnew - which is impressive.

> but I would recomend that you also install the system-switch-mail
> package and run that to 'bless' postfix that I described earlier

I've done that, and used it.  If I'd understood what it would do a
little earlier I would have saved myself a lot of troublt ;-)

Thanks, Craig, James, and the person who has been sending me helpful
off-list messages.

This workstation has just received a couple of messages from the box I
was working on, that have been queued since this afternoon, so
obviously all is now well.

Anne