Re: Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Hi

Please elaborate: * What in Fedora is community oriented?

What is not?
I haven't seen much "community oriented by RH" in FC yet.

I sense, RH not wanting to listen to the community and pushing "their
interests".
What specific things didnt Red Hat listen to the community. Not just your personal opinions.

* What would be different in FC if it was "not community oriented"?

Red Hat Linux.
Uuh? RHL would have continued to exist? I.e. RH would be doing the work
volunteers are doing in FE now? Great to here that, let's discontinue
FE, then - We contributors must be dumber than we think we are ;)
No. If it was not Fedora Project it would have been Red Hat Linux plus third party repositories which dont integrate well. Now its Fedora foundation managing several sub projects, one of them happens to be maintained by Red Hat.

You forget the presence of various other projects such as Legacy, Documentation, Websites, Infrastructure etc...
Are they provided by RH? RH provides some of the servers, yes. But the contents? Most probably written and provided by volunteers from
the community to the community. I.e. direction: Community => community.
If community can set direction then that makes it it a community project. Dont you think? If Red Hat provided direction then you will turn around and call it control like you do for Fedora Core project. Dont argue both ways.

It is almost stagnant which is great for enterprises but not for the community. If RHEL would have been suitable for everyone Red Hat wouldnt started Fedora or vice versa. Fedora's rapid release cycle with tons of feature updates, many of them from Red Hat is a key process of enabling the community.
I don't buy that. It's a key process for RH to be able to provide
sufficient stability for RHEL.
Of course it is but its also a Free and open source community operating system. Win-win.

I am still waiting for RH to act community-oriented, i.e. to let the
community participate actively in their decision processes, to let the
community actively work on packages in FC, etc., etc.
You can actively work on packages by providing patches. Which problem werent you able to solve because Red Hat is working on core packages?. Core is getting reduced and might even not exist in future releases anyway.

The development methodology of "Release early, Release often" combined with donations from Red Hat combined with the many community sub projects within the Fedora Foundation is what provides value for Fedora.
The community did not implement the Fedora Foundation.
Community cannot implement a foundation. It requires funding to the tune that the community cannot provide. How many millions do you want to fund?. It requires a legal team and management direction. Foundation is meant for the community though.

It's RH who are
about to implement them for reason, RH still didn't communicate to the
community.

You didnt see my earlier mail yet I guess. See https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-January/msg03413.html. What questions are left unanswered there?

Reducing costs/spare taxes usually is the reason for founding
foundations (I've been working for one for >10 years).
You might not understand the law in the US to determine tax savings. Wait for the public announcement for details. Let me quote out, the goal of the foundation is to enable the following.
   *

     By providing a non-profit entity to organize and manage volunteers.

   *

     By ensuring that the work of these volunteers remains forever free.

   *

     By providing a fundraising arm for the development and protection
     of Fedora and related open source projects.

   *

     By providing an entity for copyright assignment, so that what is
     free is also defensible in a court of law.

   *

     By funding patent filings for inventors in the open source
     community, so that dedicated individuals can help to build a
     protective patent shield around open source code.

--
Rahul