Re: 'GPL encumbrance problems'

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>That's why these complaints seem really churlish to me, ignoring the
>>boon to you and only complaining about your contribution back.
>
> I don't recall mentioning any contributions or lack thereof.  My

Man your memory must be failing you.  Here you go:

>>> Once the first little bit is GPL'd, no one has that choice if they
>>> want to contribute.  For a very large part of the code base, I'd

> complaint is as an end user, not being able to have certain
> things in addition to the GPL'd parts for the incremental cost
> of adding them.  Or more realistically, being forced to use
> Windows or OSX for many tasks because the functionality can't
> legally be added to Linux.  I realize that the choices have
> already been made - I just don't understand why anyone else
> thinks it is a good thing.

I did my best to explain to you the point of view of a GPL'd project on
this matter and compared it to the experience of an equivalent liberally
licensed project without the viral license.  If it still doesn't make
any sense then I guess you will have to remain puzzled.

-Andy