Re: Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Hi

Oh, come one! From the website: "...combination of stable and cutting-edge software..."

Cutting-edge software is rarely robust. That's why it's called "cutting edge."

> That would be "bleeding edge". Its entirely possible to having cutting
> edge and robust software. Automating testing, better participation in
> rawhide, test releases and updates-testing and bug triaging to get
> feedback and fixes faster are some of the possible ways to improve it.
Main Entry:  bleeding edge
Part of Speech:  noun
Definition: extremely advanced technology with no current practical application, beyond the cutting edge of technology

There is no beta releases for Fedora. Only test releases.

beta means test. As does alpha (but more testing).

I'm quoting my research, for those interested in the historical aspects.

   beta

   /bay't*/, /be't*/ or (Commonwealth) /bee't*/ n. 1. Mostly
   working, but still under test; usu. used with `in': `in beta'. In
   the Real World, systems (hardware or software) software often go
   through two stages of release testing: Alpha (in-house) and Beta
   (out-house?). Beta releases are generally made to a group of lucky
   (or unlucky) trusted customers. 2. Anything that is new and
   experimental. "His girlfriend is in beta" means that he is still
   testing for compatibility and reserving judgment. 3. Flaky;
   dubious; suspect (since beta software is notoriously buggy).

   Historical note: More formally, to beta-test is to test a
   pre-release (potentially unreliable) version of a piece of software
   by making it available to selected (or self-selected) customers and
   users. This term derives from early 1960s terminology for product
   cycle checkpoints, first used at IBM but later standard throughout
   the industry. `Alpha Test' was the unit, module, or component test
   phase; `Beta Test' was initial system test. These themselves came
   from earlier A- and B-tests for hardware. The A-test was a
   feasibility and manufacturability evaluation done before any
   commitment to design and development. The B-test was a
   demonstration that the engineering model functioned as specified.
   The C-test (corresponding to today's beta) was the B-test performed
   on early samples of the production design, and the D test was the C
   test repeated after the model had been in production a while.

   Source: Jargon File 4.2.0

I'll stay with my description on both counts.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait