Re: mail confusion

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 13:36 -0500, Derek Martin wrote:

> > I set up masquerading in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, "re-compiled", re-
>
> But remember that mail from your local machine (by default on FCx
> installs) uses /etc/mail/submit.mc, as I mentioned in my previous
> post.  What does that look like?

Not to be argumentative, but on my system (FC3, i386) which was "box
stock" wrt sendmail configuration, here's what I see:

        [root@aria jamoore]# cat /var/run/sendmail.pid
        3367
        /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q1h

IINM, the "-bd" says: sendmail is running as a "listener" (an actual
mail server). Two thoughts come into my mind:

1) As a default configuration, why does FC* start sendmail w/ "-bd"?

2) Running as a listener (-bd), sendmail does not use submit.mc

As an aside: I did not change sendmail startup to use "-bd". So, how
does sendmail get started on FC*? Let's see...

        [root@aria jamoore]# cd /etc
        [root@aria etc]# grep -r 'sendmail -bd -q1h' *
        <snip some garbage>
        httpd/run/sendmail.pid:/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q1h

WTFO??? Where/how does sendmail get started?

Bottom Line: Having found this trove of knowledge, I *think* my best
course of action is to fix (right after I find it) the sendmail startup
to remove the "-bd" option, then start hacking submit.mc to fix my
original problem.

> If none of this was helpful, I guess I'd have to see what was actually
> in both of your .mc files to be able to provide any more help.

I'll be glad to post that if I can't do the deed

> Also, check to make sure your host name really is what you think it
> is, by typing
>
>   $ hostname

        [jamoore@aria ~]$ hostname
        aria.cullmail.com

I don't think it makes any difference to the receiving mail server
whether or not aria.cullmail.com is an Internet-DNS-resolvable host...
in any case, the connection will go through my firewall, and appear to
come from that host.

Analysis or comments are welcome!

Jay