Re: mail confusion

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 04:44 -0500, Ted Kaczmarek wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 03:31 -0600, Jay Moore wrote:
> > I'm using smartd to monitor my HD, and want it to send an email message
> > to another address if an error occirs. I've specified the non-local
> > recipient in smartd.conf correctly. Problem is that when mail sends the
> > message, it sends it as being from "root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" - which
> > of course is rejected as invalid at the receiving host.
> >
> > How do I get mail to use my *real* address?
> >

> edit
> /etc/aliases
>
> on the bottom of the file their is typically an example for roots mail
> going to marc. Uncomment that line, substitute your local account name
> or ISP account name for that.
>
> run
> newaliases
>
> run logwatch
>
> If you have any issues after this check your log files, but this should
> do the trick in most cases.

I don't think that's the problem... changing that line would cause all
of root's mail to go to another destination - that's not the problem.
I'm trying to send a message from this host (aria.bokler.com) to my
"real" email account on a different host.

The problem is that the from: address "mail" is using is bogus:
"root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"  Problem is that I don't know *where* mail
is getting this address. Following is the error message:

<jaymo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    (reason: 553 5.1.8 <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>... Domain of sender
address
root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx does not exist)