Re: mail confusion

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 12:06 -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 04:03:29AM -0600, Jay Moore wrote:
> > The problem is that the from: address "mail" is using is bogus:
> > "root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"  Problem is that I don't know *where*
> > mail is getting this address. Following is the error message:
>
> Well, it's not exactly bogus...  It's what your machine is configured
> to use.  :)
>
> The problem is that the hostname of your system is
> localhost.localdomain as determined in /etc/hosts and/or
> /etc/resolv.conf and/or /etc/sysconfig/network, and smartd is running
> as root, so it will send mail out as root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  This
> is normal and expected.
>
> You need to do one of the following:
>
>   - change the hostname of your machine to something in a real domain
>   - configure sendmail to masquerade your hostname/domain AND get rid
>     of root as an "exposed user"
>   - stop trying to send mail to legitimate Internet hosts from an
>     illegitimate Internet host.  ;-)

I don't believe you've got it, Derek. At any rate, none of the things
you prescribed seem to make any difference. Here are some facts I should
have provided in my OP:

This host (aria) has a dynamic IP. It is on a private net, currently @
192.168.1.207

my /etc/hosts file:
127.0.0.1       localhost localhost.localdomain aria.cullmail.com aria

my /etc/resolv.conf file:
; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
search cullmail.com
nameserver 207.203.159.252
nameserver 205.152.0.5

my /etc/sysconfig/network file:
NETWORKING=yes
# HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
HOSTNAME=aria.cullmail.com

I set up masquerading in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, "re-compiled", re-
started sendmail, re-booted, jumped up turned around three times with my
left index finger on my nose while chanting "there's no place like home,
there's no place like home". No dice... I even changed the .mc file so
that *no reference* to localhost.localdomain existed in sendmail.cf
(checked this w/ a grep).

So here's the thing: Evolution is configured to use sendmail on this
host... it works fine. However 'pine' and 'mail' cannot get anything
except 'localhost.localdomain' when they send mail.

Please clue me in if you can.

Jay

--
Jay Moore <jaymo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>