Re: mail confusion

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 22:55, Jay Moore wrote:

> Bottom Line: Having found this trove of knowledge, I *think* my best
> course of action is to fix (right after I find it) the sendmail startup
> to remove the "-bd" option, then start hacking submit.mc to fix my
> original problem.

No, the only thing you need it fix is if you want to accept mail
on addresses other than 127.0.0.1 and sendmail's idea of your
hostname if it isn't what you want as a return address.

> > Also, check to make sure your host name really is what you think it
> > is, by typing
> >
> >   $ hostname
>
>         [jamoore@aria ~]$ hostname
>         aria.cullmail.com
>
> I don't think it makes any difference to the receiving mail server
> whether or not aria.cullmail.com is an Internet-DNS-resolvable host...
> in any case, the connection will go through my firewall, and appear to
> come from that host.

Most smtp receivers these days will not accept email if the
sender's domain is not DNS-resolvable.  Some sites will also
refuse it if the IP and DNS don't match, but that is less
common (and the RFC's explicitly permit that case - otherwise
multihomed hosts wouldn't work).

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx