Re: ping with crossover cable

Bart Couvreur wrote:
[root@localhost init.d]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1

#D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet DEVICE=eth1 ONBOOT=yes BOOTPROTO=dhcp #BOOTPROTO=none|bootp|dhcp #which do I want?

BOOTPROTO=none

If you use bootp or dhcp, the startup of the device will attempt to read its IP address and other configuration information from a bootp or dhcp server, which you do *NOT* have on the other end of the line.

HWADDR=00:0D:88:37:FA:22

I'd drop the HWADDR line myself. If you don't use the ethernet card which matches this hardware address (MAC address) I don't think the interface will work. Just drop it entirely. That way if you change the ethernet card sometime down the road, you won't break the configuration.

NETMASK=255.255.255.0
BROADCAST=192.168.10.255

make the changes and then "service network restart" as root.

messages involving "no link present. Check cable?" are telling you that the card is not detecting an active port at the other end of the cable. Reasons for this could be:

1)  The other end of the cable is not plugged into anything
	(or no cable is plugged into your local card)
2)  The ethernet card at the other end of the cable is not turned on
	(the remote computer could be turned off, or its interface
	may not yet be properly configured)
3)  You are *not* using the correct crossover cable

You can avoid this by using a hub which is already plugged in and powered on when your try and bring up the local ethernet card.

Not to worry, If you've configured both ends correctly, the interface should start to work when both cards are working properly. Most ethernet cards have a LINK LED on the side which lights up when it is properly cabled to its remote port. Also, a second LED is usually present and blinks whenever packets are sent over the connection. I find that visual system to be very conforting when configuring hardware for the first time.

Hey

If you're connecting two boxes with a single cable their is no dhcp,
so you're networkcard doesn't recieve any ip adress info. You'll have
to change ifcfg-eth1 to something like this:

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
IPADDR=192.168.0.109
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

manually assing two ip-adresses (one for each box) and use the same
netmask and restart your network

ciao
bart

--