Re: ping with crossover cable

THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
On 6/17/05, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I just want transfer a small file between the computers as a test.

Ignore the internet connection for now (unplug eth0 is you want to) and concentrate on the following network connections:

arakis eth1 <==> hub <==> caladon eth0

If you've plugged in the cables right, you should see "link" lights on
your hub light up for each connection (yes?).

yes, the hub lights up for each connection.  for added simplicity,
I've dispensed with the hub.  I have no reason to doubt that the
hub works correctly, but that's not yet established.  I'm using a
crossover cable.

use system-config-network to configure each ethernet card.

in linux, arrakis eth1:

activate device when computer starts:			yes
allow all users to enable and disable the device:	yes
enable IPv6 configuration for this interface:		yes
Automatically obtain IP address settings with:		dhcp
hostname:						arrakis
automatically obtain DNS information from provider:	yes

Statically set IP address: Address: 192.168.10.1 Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 Default gateway address:

what I'm seeing in the system-config-network gui doesn't 100% match with what I'm looking for. I'm not seeing NETMASK or BROADCAST mask.

Try doing things the good old manual way by editing:

read:

/usr/share/doc/initscripts-<version number>/sysconfig.txt

for all options available to you.

Regards,
Ed.
begin:vcard
fn:Edward Dekkers
n:Dekkers;Edward
org:Triple D Computer Services Pty. Ltd.;Management
adr:;;822 Rowley Road;Oakford;WA;6121;Australia
email;internet:edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Mr.
tel;work:(08) 9397-1040
tel;fax:(08) 9397-0749