Re: name resolution problem when using wired connection for VPN

On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 00:12, Jon Savage wrote:
> >         I am going to try this weekend to experiment with removing
> > NetworkManager and setting up the wired NIC manually to see if the VPN
> > will resolve names correctly in that setup.  I think I did that when
> > initially setup the laptop since I had trouble getting the wireless to
> > work.  Wireless worked after using NetworkManager.  It still needs some
> > work IMHO.
> >
> >         So by Sunday I hope to have some additional data points on this
> > problem.
> NetworkManager is sometimes wonky as far as dns is concerned, When I
> get issues where I can't get DNS etc. with it I stop NetworkManager
> and configure either by hand or using the gui tool. This works but
> sometimes requires a reboot. Agreed NetworkManager needswork(tm) but
> still shows great promise especially where wireless connections are
> concerned.
> Bests

Still fighting this problem.  However, I have found some new information
that may be of interest or benefit others on the list.

I have located a newer version of the Cisco VPN client (4.6.00.0045).
In that versions release notes there is a very interesting item:

CSCee27420 Linux VPN client has problem with DNS and kernel >2.6.5

I suspect this is the actual problem that I am seeing.  Not much
description, no details were included in the release notes.

The problem now is getting the new version to build and install on FC3.
There is a problem in the VPN client interceptor.c file that prevents it
from compiling.  They have used "inline" statements in two places which
apparently do not work under FC3.  Removing the inline statement allows
the VPN client to compile and install.  However my initial test resulted
in the system hanging, required hard power off to recover.

This occurred while trying to startup the VPN client connection.

I suspect if I can get version 4.6 to run under linux that the DNS
problem may be resolved.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.