Re: Minimum system requirements

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:32:46 -0500
Johnathan Bailes <johnathan.bailes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Personally I would  sooo happy with 256MB of mem right now.  My home
> laptop has only 128MB and I never, ever, ever use OpenOffice if I can
> help it.  It takes like two minutes to load.

That's probably less due to your memory and more due to yout hard drive.
Older laptops usually have slow 4200 RPM hard drives, and that's quite
noticable when trying to start Open Office.

Having more memory would probably help too, but if you can't upgrade the
memory on your older laptop, upgrading to a faster drive will make your
laptop seem like a new machine.

(Two minutes?  That is a pretty impressively *slow* loading time.  On my
old Celeron 366 laptop on battery power - so the CPU runs at 200 MHz and
the rest of the machine configured to save battery life - Open Office
loads in less than a minute.)

Also, another thing you can do with Open Office to save memory is to edit
your dictionary.lst file (it lives in /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/share/dict/ooo) and
remove all references to languages you don't use.  For example, here's
mine:

$ cat dictionary.lst
DICT en US en_US
HYPH en US en_US
THES en US th_en_US

This will slim down the memory footprint of Open Office considerably,
especially if you use the spell check on right-click feature.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/