Re: Minimum system requirements

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 19:14:34 +0000, Michael A. Peters <mpeters@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02/20/2005 07:05:18 AM, Sasa Stupar wrote:
>
> I recommend 512 MB of ram.
> I'm doing just fine with 256 but there have been times when I know I
> would benefit from more.
>
> As far as CPU goes - it depends, if you want to use OpenOffice.org than
> I personally suggest 2 GHz cpu - they aren't that expensive now.
> Otherwise, you can probably get away with less - but OO.o can be
> frustratingly slow at startup on 1GHz and lower CPU's. At least for me
> (that's one of the reasons I actually ditched it for AbiWord/Gnumeric -
> even though now I have a machine it is usable on)
>
> --
> Michael A. Peters
> http://mpeters.us/

Personally I would  sooo happy with 256MB of mem right now.  My home
laptop has only 128MB and I never, ever, ever use OpenOffice if I can
help it.  It takes like two minutes to load.

Too many people early on, over-sold linux for working on old low end
hw.  I know better.

Personally, I use Abiword and Gnumeric for all my home use.  I would
kill for the criawips application to gain traction (GTK2 Presentation
tool) but that is NOT going to happen.