Re: Minimum system requirements

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:53:26 -0500, Charles E Taylor IV
<tomalek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:32:46 -0500
> Johnathan Bailes <johnathan.bailes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Personally I would  sooo happy with 256MB of mem right now.  My home
> > laptop has only 128MB and I never, ever, ever use OpenOffice if I can
> > help it.  It takes like two minutes to load.
>
> That's probably less due to your memory and more due to yout hard drive.
> Older laptops usually have slow 4200 RPM hard drives, and that's quite
> noticable when trying to start Open Office.
>
> Having more memory would probably help too, but if you can't upgrade the
> memory on your older laptop, upgrading to a faster drive will make your
> laptop seem like a new machine.
>
> (Two minutes?  That is a pretty impressively *slow* loading time.  On my
> old Celeron 366 laptop on battery power - so the CPU runs at 200 MHz and
> the rest of the machine configured to save battery life - Open Office
> loads in less than a minute.)

90 to 101 seconds from a cold start on my 600 MHZ Celeron Dell 4000
Inspiron with gaim, evolution and Firefox running in other windows .
Yes, DMA is on.

Don't want to run the quickstart script I use to use because I don't
have much mem and that thing sucks down beaucoup memory.

Btw, RH 9 was a dog on this box.  But Fedora in every other matter
seems snappy but the startup time for big C++ apps like say OpenOffice
just stink.